In 2022, the Medicare Part D benefit will celebrate its 16th birthday. And like many teenagers, the program is testing and trying out new ideas and adapting to a new environment. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has been thinking of new ways to modernize the program, especially since the cost of medication continues to rise. Some examples of this include a payment model meant to incentivize plans to reduce spending in the catastrophic phase of coverage and a new model focused on making out-of-pocket costs for beneficiaries dependent on insulin more stable and affordable.
This session will help attendees understand the landscape of today’s Part D benefit, how recent changes have impacted plans and beneficiaries and how plans are adapting to new policies introduced since 2020. The faculty will also look ahead and discuss some potential policies that could be coming over the horizon.
- Describe the current Medicare Part D benefit landscape.
- Discuss the recent demonstration models launched and retracted by the CMS Innovation Center and the current administration.
- Explain new policies for 2022 and how they may impact plans, beneficiaries, and manufacturers.
- List potential future programs and how they may impact managed care pharmacy, plans, beneficiaries, and manufacturers.
Melissa Andel, MPP
CommonHealth Solutions LLC
Babette S. Edgar, PharmD, MBA, FAMCP
Senior Area Vice President
Jonathan W. Magness, PharmD
VP, Medicare Part-D Operations
Magellan Rx Management
Salt Lake City, Utah
The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
ACPE UAN:0233-0000-21-052-H04-P • Activity Type: Knowledge-Based
Contact Hours: 1.25
Release Date: October 21, 2021 • Expiration Date: December 31, 2022
Activity Fee: Free for Members and $30 for Non-Members
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live activity presented at AMCP Nexus 2021. CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements:
System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities, you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating websites. View the minimum technical and system requirements for continuing education online learning activities.
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-0000-21-052-H04-P||1.25 Contact Hours||October 21, 2021 - December 31, 2022|